Assistant Director for Employee Well-Being
Rice University is seeking a thoughtful and innovative leader to develop and promote a comprehensive Employee Well-Being program. The position is responsible for the supervision and management of all facets of the program, from strategic planning, staff support and financial oversight to the design and implementation of holistic wellness programs for the campus community.
- Bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas: Kinesiology, Health Promotion/Education, Exercise Science, Public Health, Health Education, or other health related field
- 3 years’ experience in Health Promotion/Corporate Wellness Programs or a university health, fitness, or wellness program
- In lieu of the experience requirement, additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis may be substituted
- Maintains professional expertise and stays current with emerging health and wellness trends.
- Capacity to support the philosophy, vision and mission of the department through attitude, work ethic, and behavior.
- Ability to promote an inclusive environment, including working with campus partners.
- Excellent communicator; includes verbal and written, active listening, critical thinking, persuasiveness, advising and counseling skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive personal information with appropriate discretion and judgment.
- Effective interpersonal skills to work collaboratively coordinate and integrate with others throughout the organization. Successful experience working with people with a wide range of backgrounds and skills.
- Proven organizational and project management skills. Ability to lead a team, prioritize personal and team tasks and see projects through from inception to completion on schedule.
- In-depth knowledge of educational software and technologies to promote a wide range of teaching and learning goals.
- Provide strategic leadership that guides and supports staff, develop and implement strategic planning, philosophy, policies, initiatives, and processes that ensure the delivery of excellent and efficient care and services, emphasizing continued growth and development of Employee Well-Being on the campus of Rice University
- Coordinate the delivery and execution of Employee Well-Being programs and activities including but not limited to health assessments/screenings, wellness coaching, incentive programs, wellness challenges, health fairs, and presentations.
- Direct Employee Well-Being in financial decision-making, management, and effective stewardship of finances and resources.
- Utilize data-driven assessment to identify trends, establish success metrics, and recommend appropriate initiatives and solutions focused on the design and delivery of accessible, innovative wellness programs.
- Monitor and integrate cutting-edge practices, staff/faculty needs, health care trends, evolving standards and policies, and pioneering strategies to guarantee the utmost effectiveness, efficiency, and quality of Employee Well-Being programs and services.
- Serve as the Employee Well-Being spokesperson, branding and promoting Employee Well-Being to the campus community, identifying barriers to accessing care, creating avenues for increased awareness and utilization, and advising campus leaders on health-related issues.
- Manage administrative tasks for Employee Well-Being including but not limited to overseeing Employee Well-Being program email inbox, assembling monthly well-being activities calendar, tracking attendance, participation, or performance data related to well-being activities and events, drafts employee communications, such as newsletters, and creates marketing materials that promote well-being activities, events, initiatives, and education.
- Provide guidance and direction on contractual issues and agreements. Recommend changes to contract terms and conduct negotiations with potential contractors.
- Provide administrative oversight for credentialing and licensure of staff, health records, HIPAA compliance, as well as application of ethical and professional standards.
- Collaborate with other departments and campus partners on public health issues such as health alerts, epidemics, and immunization recommendations.
- As needed, assist with the coordination of the campus emergency preparedness plans.
- Master’s degree in Kinesiology, Health Promotion/Education, Exercise Science, Public Health, Health Education, or other health related field.
- Preferred Professional Certification: ICF accredited health and wellness coach
- Professional Certification: ACSM, NASM, CHES, ACE, etc.
- 5 years of leadership experience in health care, corporate wellness or university health and well-being
- Training and credentials in mindfulness and the ability to lead mindfulness-based practices.
- Experience with bodywork, holistic treatments and alternative/complementary medicine
- Hiring, training and evaluating wellness coaches