Benefits, Wellness & Leave Manager
Under general direction of the Assistant Director of Human Resources, the Benefits, Wellness & Leave Manager is responsible for the development, implementation, administration, and budgeting for the City’s benefits, wellness and leave programming and initiatives; and supervises assigned HR staff.
- Lead the overall strategy, development and implementation of initiatives, campaigns, programming, and events related to benefits, wellness, and leave; assess the effectiveness and oversees program changes and enhancements.
- Manage and oversee the staff responsible for day-to-day activities in support of all aspects of Benefits Administration for City employees and retirees. Responsible for plan design strategy, vendor/carrier procurement & relationship management, and addressing complex benefits issues to develop effective solutions and options.
- Collaborate with consultants and third-party vendors to monitor market trends in the benefits and wellness community, make recommendations, initiate new programs, practices, and techniques for continuous improvement and align with City objectives and the changing needs of our growing workforce.
- Develop, review, and administer policies, guidelines and procedures related to employee benefits, wellness and leave administration, accommodations and return to work programs, ensuring that all programs and processes meet legal & ethical standards and align with strategic objectives.
- Direct and assist the team in carrying out department responsibilities and collaborate with leadership and staff to support short and long-term goals/priorities.
- Provide leadership for the assigned staff, which includes prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; and making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in business management or a related field and three (3) years experience related to area of assignment and one (1) year supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience with Benefits Administration including knowledge of Healthcare Laws. Knowledge of Leave Administration laws and administration practices. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills. Advanced verbal and written communication skills. Advanced proficiency in Microsoft products, including Word and Excel, with the ability to learn software related to departmental functions. Ability to prioritize projects and meet established or anticipated deadlines Demonstrable strategic thinking abilities with the ability to implement various cross-functional and cross-departmental programs. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Ability to adapt to change while simultaneously maintaining focus on organizational and operational objectives and envisioning the bigger picture. Strong communication and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate and interact effectively with all levels of staff, management, business contacts and internal/external partners.
CEBS, PHR or SPHR certification strongly preferred. Three (3) to five (5) years of employee benefit plan administration. Previous work experience in an HR Generalist or similar role. Knowledge of and experience with wellness programming. Experience working in a matrix-style leadership environment.
Position open until filled or closing date.