Position Title: Fitness Specialist
Reports To: Fitness Center Manager
Functional Area: Wellness Services
Compensation: $17.00 – $20.00 per hour
Job Opening Date: 1/12/21
Employment Status: FLSA Non-Exempt, 40 hours/week
Work Location: Denver, CO
Healthbreak is a corporate wellness services provider with a 30-year track record of successfully helping companies and their employees embrace healthy living. We innovate, customize, integrate, create, engage, analyze, report, manage, get the wellness word out, have fun and best of all, we generate award winning wellness programs. This position provides a great opportunity for the right professional to provide fitness services within a corporate fitness center environment.
ROLE OF POSITION
This position provides professional staffing and fitness management services at an 8,500 SF corporate fitness center that serves 2,000 eligible employees in Downtown Denver, CO. Fitness Specialists work with a larger team to deliver motivating and effective health and fitness programs to reach established membership and engagement goals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide professional staffing of the fitness center at various times during its hours of operation.
- Teach a minimum of 10+ group onsite or live streamed fitness classes per week and provide fun, energy and motivation to each class.
- Administer new member screening and clearance, administer fitness equipment orientations, fitness assessments, and develop exercise prescriptions.
- Assist in the development and distribute marketing and advertising for the fitness facility and associated programs.
- Become proficient at utilizing the fitness center management software system, Constant Contact, Zoom, Vimeo and other systems used to administer membership services.
- Provide members with information regarding safe nutrition, fitness, and weight management guidelines.
- Provide personal training, exercise/nutrition/weight management education, challenge programs, demonstrations and special events for members or the general population. All services need to be scaled virtually to support to members working remote.
- Keep accurate records including the tracking of utilization of the Fitness Center and other programs.
- Recruit new members and retain members on an ongoing basis.
- Participate in recordings sessions for Healthbreak’s fitness channel on-demand fitness classes.
- Ensure a safe environment through provision of equipment sanitation/maintenance and emergency response protocols.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct oneself and all programs according to the best practice standards outlined in the health and fitness industry.
- Maintain up-to-date skills and knowledge of fitness and wellness programs and strategies, including legal and compliance issues.
- Maintain all certifications and continuing education credits in compliance with Healthbreak.
- Communicate regularly and effectively with Healthbreak personnel, as well as internal and external contacts.
- Contribute to the development of long-term plans and strategies.
- Provide staffing coverage at other corporate fitness centers as needed.
- Be an engaged Healthbreak team member and participate on other projects and activities.
No employee supervision.
No travel expected outside of Denver Metro area.
- Bachelor’s degree in exercise science, exercise physiology, or related health field preferred; or ASCM Certified (CPT, HFS), personal training and other certifications with 3 years’ experience.
- Current CPR/AED & First Aid certification
- One to two years of experience working in a worksite or commercial fitness center and promoting memberships and other services. Personal training experience preferred.
- Solid knowledge of exercise physiology, fitness testing, exercise prescription, and nutrition.
- Ability to effectively design a workout, select appropriate music and lead the instruction of group fitness classes.
- Proficient skills in using Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the ability to learn the fitness center management software.
- Professional image and a personal role model for fitness and health promotion.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate or influence others.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- The noise level in the work environment is moderate to quiet.
- The employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear; frequently required to stand; pushing/pulling, lifting/carrying, bending/squatting is part of the daily job.
- Moderate physical activity required to effectively lead group classes and demonstrate equipment that includes frequent lifting and/or moving up to 20 pounds and occasional lifting and/or moving up to 50 pounds.