Recreation Coordinator – Fitness
The purpose of this position is to coordinate, plan, budget for, and supervise the fitness and recreation programs at Firstenburg (FCC) and Marshall (MCC) Community Centers. Oversee group exercise, weight room, fitness desk, child watch, dance classes for all ages and a summer camp. Hire, train, and supervisor employees and temporary staff. Provide customer service for assigned areas.
This is a full-time, regular, exempt position.
The schedule for this position is M-F, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm
This position is covered by the provisions of an agreement between the City and the AFSCME Union. Regular employees in this position are required to pay union dues.
• Select, plan, prioritize, assign, supervise, review and participate in the work and of the staff responsible for program area of fitness, child watch, dance classes and camps. Provide and communicate goals, objectives and expectations for the team. Coach and mentor employees to improve performance and/or correct deficiencies; write and deliver performance appraisals; recommend and implement discipline. Process payroll for employees.
• Provide customer service in-person, by phone and/or by email for inquiries, requests, comment cards and other related concerns for programs. Address concerns regarding the behavior of customers. Keep registration material efficient for customers and the front desk team.
• Ensure that each program area is meeting cost recovery expectations and that all areas are meeting attendance expectations. Research customer needs for classes, programs and fitness equipment. Make adjustments to current programs and classes and coordinate new programs accordingly.
• Market fitness and recreation programs. Create, recommend, and implement incentives to maintain current customers. Design membership tactics to increase and maintain membership. Keep website and other marketing medias current and updated. Partner with other agencies to stay current in the market.
• Inspect facilities and monitor compliance with rules and regulations related to public safety standards. Ensure program compliance with federal, state, and local rules, laws and regulations.
• Assist in the creation of and monitor budgets for assigned programs and areas. Make recommendations for expenditures. Purchase equipment and supplies.
• Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Five (5) years of relevant professional experience in the fitness and/or recreational field including administrative and at least two (2) years of supervisory experience. Experience operating a fitness or community center with implementation of fitness and/or recreation programs for all ages and abilities preferred
• Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major work in recreation and/or fitness field. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.