Regional Wellness Program Coordinator
TxDOT’s Employee Wellness Program team is looking for a dedicated, motivated, innovative, and organized Regional Wellness Program Coordinator to lead worksite wellness in South Texas within three TxDOT districts – Laredo, Pharr, and Corpus Christi. Passion for developing and implementing healthy lifestyle programs for individuals and groups is a must to join this dynamic team. We are searching for an experienced health promotion professional to work collaboratively with other members of the employee wellness team to coordinate and implement strategies that address agency health priorities to improve employee’s overall health and wellbeing. The primary role of the Regional Wellness Program Coordinator is to plan, develop, implement, and evaluate health promotion programs to improve employee’s health, including improving environmental changes across three TxDOT districts. The Regional Wellness Program Coordinator will work with a diverse and multidisciplinary team of colleagues throughout each district and across the agency. Bilingual skills in English and Spanish is a plus, but not required. If you have a passion for educating and engaging people at varying stages of behavioral readiness, enjoy a fast-paced environment, thrive on a variety of challenging work, and are looking to join a diverse workforce of almost 12,000 where you can build an exciting career, let’s talk! The primary work location for this position must be in one of the cities indicated above and access to reliable transportation is required. At TxDOT we value our employees and work-life balance. In keeping with our commitment, employees benefit from a wide array of programs and activities that include telework, flexed and compressed work schedules, wellness leave incentives, career development program, tuition assistance, and various other perks and benefits. For a complete list of our total compensation package, please visit our website.
Salary Plan/Grade: B19
Language: Bilingual preferred – not required (Spanish, English)
Based in one of these three locations:
- 1817 Bob Bullock Loop Laredo, TX 78043 600
- W US 83 Expressway Pharr, TX 78577
- 1701 S Padre Island Drive Corpus Christi, TX 78469
This position requires frequent travel to the various districts.
Salary Plan/Grade: B 19
Salary Plan/Grade: B-19
Job ID: 117342
Job Title: Regional Wellness Program Coordinator
Description: $42244.00 – $68960.00 yearly
Location: CORPUS CHRISTI, LAREDO, PHARR
- Full/Part Time
- Overnight Travel Up to 50% of the time
- Military Occup Specialty Code
- State Classification Code: 1572
- State Classification Title: Program Specialist III
- Occupational Category: Human Resources
TxDOT is committed to hiring veterans. To assist in determining whether your military experience may pertain to the minimum requirements for this position, Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) codes from each branch of the U.S. Armed Forces have been assigned to each state classification code/title where applicable. The MOS codes are grouped by occupational category.
To view the MOS codes please click on link below and click on the appropriate occupational category.
The Regional Wellness Program Coordinator plans, develops, implements, and evaluates health promotion programs to improve employee’s health, including improving environmental changes across a local region (covering three TxDOT districts). Develops educational programs that create awareness and provides tools to employees to help them adapt and maintain a well-rounded healthy lifestyle. Collaborates with statewide wellness program administrators, local TxDOT District Human Resources staff, local district management, and other professional partners within each TxDOT district. Employees at this level establish their own work plan and priorities to meet set objectives. Work requires travel. Reports to Human Resource Division Director and works in partnership with the statewide Wellness Program Administrators. Issues are rarely referred to the supervisor but are handled at the occurrence.
The essential duties for this job include:
- Performs needs assessments and develops and implements health and well-being programs designed to meet the needs of three TxDOT districts and its employees.
- Develops and implements specific targeted program interventions around weight management, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
- Develops and disseminates health education information within each local district community and provides take-home communication encompassing the TxDOT wellness dimensions: emotional, environmental, financial, intellectual, physical and social wellness.
- Lead in-person health education presentations to all level of employees.
- Identifies local wellness resources to support comprehensive wellness initiatives.
- Connects employees to the insurance health and wellness benefits and the employee assistance program services.
- Advises and provides technical assistance to district HR contacts on implementing wellness fairs and other established wellness programs when appropriate.
- Assists the statewide wellness administrators with the organization of health-related challenges and creates additional regional wellness challenges.
- Creates communication and promotional materials related to activities, events and services happening in the region and statewide initiatives when requested.
- Represents TxDOT at conferences, seminars, and local requested speaking engagements.
- Communicates goals and outcomes of the program to ensure that local leadership both understands and supports wellness initiatives.
- Keeps abreast of current national wellness and wellbeing initiatives and activities, developing a network of resources and contacts to use as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned
The required competencies for this job include:
- Understanding of health education and behavior change theories.
- Knowledge of health promotion and health education strategies in a worksite or community setting.
- Skilled in program development and evaluation.
- Awareness of trends and best practices in employee health and wellbeing.
- Planning, coordinating, promoting, and evaluating wellness-related events and programs.
- Innovative thinking to establish solutions to engage individuals in health behavior change.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills including using principles of excellent customer service.
- Experience in public speaking.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- Think strategically with a long-term focus.
- Basic understanding of the legal and regulatory requirements such as HIPAA, GINA, and ADAA.
- Maintain confidentiality in all areas of employee interaction.
- Effectively organize and prioritize work demands in a fast-paced environment.
This job requires the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Health Promotion, Health Education, Public Health, Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, Nutrition Science, or related health discipline.
This job requires the following:
- 2 years in health promotion, health education, and/or wellness related experience
- (Experience can be satisfied by full-time or prorated part-time equivalent)
- Relevant experience may be substituted for education on a year per year basis.
Licenses and Certifications
The following Licenses and/or Certifications are required for this job:
- Valid Driver’s License (required)
- Certified Health Education Specialist (preferred)
Conditions of Employment
Conditions for this Position: Standards of Employment
You must complete the online State of Texas application to include work experience, education and all information necessary. Your online application and additional information on your resume, if provided, will be reviewed to determine if you meet minimum requirements for the position. The primary location of this job can be at any of the three District Head Quarters below: 1817 Bob Bullock Loop Laredo, TX 78043 600 W US 83 Expressway Pharr, TX 78577 1701 S Padre Island Drive Corpus Christi, TX 78469
The Texas Department of Transportation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate discrimination in the workplace. Applicant Information