The successful candidate will assist in the administration of the university’s Hokie Wellness program and is involved in the development of the program’s strategic plan. Responsibilities include performing needs assessment and gathering/analyzing health data. The health educator will develop, plan, execute, and coordinate health education and promotion, wellness, disease screening, and prevention programming to include behavior change programs for the university community in the areas of greatest need. Other duties include cooperating, collaborating, and networking with other departments and health agencies for all campus locations and in local communities to coordinate services, avoid duplication, and provide outreach programming. The health educator will maintain and provide self-care and health information resources and referrals to employees and students as well as meet with employees by appointment during regular hours for health behavior coaching and lifestyle modifications conducive to optimal wellness. This position serves in a supportive role to case management and Virginia Tech Office of Emergency Management Community Assistance plan, which requires FEMA certifications. This position also serves as a mentor and supervisor for student program assistants and interns in Hokie Wellness.
- Must possess a Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH), Health Promotion, or a related field or equivalent level of training and experience.
- Significant experience in the following: planning, developing, and presenting customized health education and training programs; developing, assessing, and modifying wellness programs and/or presentation materials; and demonstrated acquisition and application of knowledge of current and developing issues/trends in specified area of health education.
- Competence and interest in health and wellness education, disease prevention; and health promotion planning, implementing, and evaluating.
- Competence and interest in health behavior theories and practical applications.
- Must have experience in developing, facilitating and teaching educational classes and/or workshops as well as presenting to a variety of audiences.
- Proficiency with a variety of software, such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Ability to multi-task and organize programs and events in a timely and efficient manner.
- Must demonstrate a high level of integrity and confidentiality.
- CHES/MCHES certification preferred.
- Familiarity with federal laws and regulations related to Employee Assistance, wellness, and work-life programs.
- Experience with case management.
- Marketing experience and proficiency with publishing software, such as Adobe Creative Suite.
- FEMA certifications: IS-00100.HE, IS-00200.b, ICS-300, and IS-00700.a
- CPR/First Aid certifications
- Experience with Gallup’s StrengthsFinder and implementation of strengths-based education.
- Partnerships with the Virginia Tech community and understanding of resources available on-campus and off-campus.
- Supervisory experience.
- Demonstrate effective group presentation (public speaking) and facilitation skills.