Health Promotion Manager – Wellness Coalition (Senior Student Services Program Administrator)
The University of Connecticut, Storrs Campus, is searching for a full-time Health Promotion Manager – Wellness Coalition. The mission of the Health Promotion team within Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) is to mobilize the UConn community to cultivate the conditions that foster student wellbeing, empower students, and address health inequities – amplifying the voices of our oppressed communities. Under the general direction of the Director of Health Promotion and Community Impact, the Health Promotion Manager contributes to this mission by applying their advanced community organizing, program development, and project management skills to facilitate proactive, coordinated, systems-level health promotion initiatives across the campus social-ecology, primarily through UConn’s Wellness Coalition.
SHaW Health Promotion Managers are responsible for the independent and effective management of health promotion programs, wellness coalition initiatives, and interdisciplinary committee coordination. Coalition committee coordination includes providing backbone support to committee chairs, facilitating the development of a shared agenda and supporting objectives, coordinating agreed upon mutually reinforcing activities amongst coalition members, implementing effective communications to internal and external audiences, and collecting, evaluating and reporting data to inform coalition work. Health Promotion Managers may also be involved in coordinating large scale health promotion conferences and events, as well as managing and projecting the financial and human resources needed to accomplish goals and objectives associated with their area of responsibility. Given the nature of coalition work and creating organizational change, the ideal candidate should be comfortable with ambiguity and possess the ability to thrive in a fluid, dynamic environment.
Health Promotion Managers typically possess expertise and/or experience in area(s) of student health and wellness that complements the expertise of the professional team; and engage content experts outside of Health Promotion and Student Health and Wellness, when needed, to address knowledge gaps and to attend to emerging campus health and wellness issues.
SHaW is committed to diversity and inclusion, competence in working with culturally and ethnically diverse populations, and awareness of how issues of difference, power, and privilege manifest in higher education environments. The ideal candidate promotes health equity and reduces health disparities by demonstrating and supporting an understanding, sensitivity, and appreciation for health equity, social justice, cultural humility, and inclusiveness.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Strategically plans and manages the ongoing mobilization of University and community partners to identify, prioritize, implement, and evaluate health promotion initiatives and strategies to create a culture of wellness at UConn. Monitors compliance with departmental and University policies and procedures.
- Serves as a neutral, and skilled facilitator who guides partners and stakeholders towards consensus and motivates action towards the achievement of identified strategies to improve student well-being.
- Manages the work of professional and/or student staff, including assigning and reviewing work, providing guidance, and conducting performance evaluations. Recommends staffing needs and assists in the recruitment, selection, and ongoing development of staff.
- In coordination with the SHaW Data Team, collects and analyzes wellness coalition program data, and participates in evaluating program and strategy effectiveness; identifies problems and makes changes, within prescribed guidelines, or recommends major changes.
- Develops and manages the emerging Innovate Wellness initiative, one of UConn’s Innovate labs, in conjunction with the School of Business.
- Advocates for and implements practices to operationalize diversity, equity, and inclusion in all work functions and responsibilities.
- Liaises with University constituents to maintain and develop strong partnerships, as well as coordinate logistics for shared activities and events.
- Coordinates and monitors the day-to-day administration of wellness coalition work; manages and facilitates the coordination of partnership and coalition activities including meeting logistics, leading committee meetings, facilitating work groups, and implementing community engagement events.
- Collaborates with internal and external departments on joint programs or projects. Assesses and mitigates risk for all programmatic activities.
- Performs office management duties for assigned wellness coalition committees and other areas of responsibility; determines workflow; coordinates and monitors the processing of necessary paperwork and maintenance of records to support the program and agreed upon initiatives.
- Makes budget recommendations and monitors approved budget and expenditures for health promotion initiatives and related activities; assists in identifying resources and funding sources as needed.
- Plans and organizes workshops, training programs, courses, program curricula, and training materials, in accordance with shared program goals and objectives.
- Serves as an expert resource to students, staff, and others on matters relating to health promotion policies, procedures, and activities, as well as engagement in wellness coalition efforts.
- Engages in public relations and promotional activities for the wellness coalition and associated programs and events. Implements recruiting and promotional strategies, in area of responsibility.
- Oversees training and research activities that may be conducted regarding health promotion work.
- Actively participates on and/or leads departmental, divisional, and/or campus committees or workgroups as requested.
- Performs related work as required.
- Master’s degree in public health, health promotion, social work and/or related field and at least 4 years relevant experience; or Bachelor’s degree and 6 to 7 years relevant experience.
- Two years of experience must be serving as an advanced/senior team member or working as a project lead.
- Experience developing and implementing interdepartmental or cross-organizational initiatives or educational programs.
- Articulated knowledge of health and wellness issues that impact college student success.
- Demonstrated understanding of effective theories of cultural change and/or collaborative action.
- Must have a demonstrated understanding of and stated commitment to diversity, inclusion and equity issues.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve day-to-day problems involving stakeholders.
- Previous supervision of students or professional staff.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate information effectively.
- Demonstrated understanding of skills necessary in effective facilitation.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills necessary for effective work relationships.
- Demonstrated experience engaging, coordinating, and influencing the activities of multiple stakeholders for the purpose of improving community outcomes.
- Previous experience leading interdisciplinary teams in a higher education environment.
- Demonstrated understanding of system level strategies that promote health and wellness.
- Demonstrated experience integrating principles of diversity and inclusion into all aspects of program management.
- Experience facilitating discussions towards a common goal across power, diversity and equity dynamics.
This is a full-time 12-month position with an anticipated start date of August 2021 or sooner. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #495184 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references. Candidates selected to interview may be asked to facilitate a presentation or other activity related to the core job functions.
Student Health and Wellness (SHaW) is expanding services and is currently hiring for a variety of positions related to students’ mental health and wellness. SHaW encourages qualified applicants to apply for multiple positions of interest.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on May 6, 2021.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.