Wellness and Fitness Specialist at Cornell University Wellness Program
Interested in helping people find joy, balance, and well-being? Love health and fitness? Enjoy working with adults? We are seeking a high energy, creative, and organized wellness professional to perform a diverse job within the Cornell University Wellness Program as part of our Wellness team. The Cornell University Wellness Program team of four serves over 4,000 staff/faculty/retiree members as well as provides outreach for the entire University community.
In this role, you will focus on:
- Group exercise responsibilities focus on teaching, coordinating, developing and evaluating classes for a diverse range of members with special focus on members who have injuries and illnesses such as heart disease, diabetes, obesity, arthritis, joint replacements and other musculoskeletal injuries/surgeries as well as recruiting, hiring, and supervising the program’s instructors. Currently the program includes aerobic, strength, and yoga classes, on land and in water, as well as specialized yearly events such as group fitness testing.
- As a one-on-one trainer, you will consult a diverse group of individuals on goal setting, exercise program design, and general fitness prescription. Clientele may include those with illness (i.e. diabetes, obesity, arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc.) and injury/pain.
- Health education tasks include conducting outreach programs for the Cornell community that increase motivation, peer group support, encouragement, enjoyment and to promote body conditioning, flexibility and general health to CU employees.
Competencies needed for success include creativity, organization, and adaptability. Must be able to multitask and work independently. Other attributes include approachability, sense of humor, team oriented spirit, and motivated demeanor coupled with a well-balanced life/work outlook.
Position requires occasional long and unusual hours.
Applications accepted until 06/24/2016.
- Bachelor’s degree in exercise physiology or related field.
- AFAA or ACE certification
- CPR/AED/First Aid certification
- At least one year wellness/health/fitness related experience with emphasis on leading group exercise classes.
- At least one year of working with older adults or individuals with illness/injury/special physical needs.
- Competencies needed for success include creativity, organization, and adaptability.
- Must be able to multitask and work independently.
- Sense of humor, team oriented spirit, and motivated demeanor coupled with a well-balanced life/work outlook.
- Proficient with a computer including Microsoft Office.
- No visa sponsorship available for this position.
- Minor in Gerontology
- Previous supervisory experience
- ACSM Health Fitness Instructor certification or equivalent (NASM, NSCA)
- CPR/AED/First Aid instructor certification (if not must obtain within the first year of employment)
- The physical lifting demands are minimal but requires a great deal of physical stamina to teach the various classes on a daily basis
- Visual attention and concentration requirements are normal. Currently shares an office with two full-time and two part-time employees. Must work in an environment with constant interruptions.
Applications accepted through June 24. You must apply through the Cornell jobs page: https://www.hr.cornell.edu/jobs/positions.html.